    SubjectRe: [BUG] 2.4 VM sucks. Again
    On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 06:56:54PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
    > > I suspect nuke-buffers is simply always the right thing to do. It's
    > > what 2.5 is doing now (effectively). We'll see...
    > >
    > > But in your case, you only have a couple of gigs of memory, iirc.
    > > You shouldn't be running into catastrophic buffer_head congestion.
    > > Something odd is happening.
    > >
    > > If you can provide a really detailed set of steps which can be
    > > used by others to reproduce this, that would really help.
    > What I do: start lots (10-50) downloads, each with a speed of 4,5Mbps from
    > another client. The two are connected using gigEthernet. downloads are over
    > HTTP, with Tux or other servers (have tried several). If the clients are
    > reading at full speed (e.g. only a few clients, or reading directly from
    > localhost), the problem doesn't occir. However, when reading at a fixed rate,
    > it seems like the server is caching itself to death.
    > Detailed configuration:
    > - 4 IBM 40gig disks in RAID-0. chunk size 1MB
    > - 1 x athlon 1GHz
    > - 1GB RAM - no highmem (900 meg)
    > - kernel 2.4.19pre7 + patch from Andrew Morton to ditch buffers early
    > (thread: [BUG] 2.4 VM sucks. Again)
    > - gigEthernet between test client and server
    > Anyone got a clue?

    can you try to reproduce with 2.4.19pre9aa2 just in case it's an oom
    deadlock, and if it deadlocks again can you press SYSRQ+T, and many
    times SYSQR+P, and send this info along the (you may need the
    serial console to easily gather the data if not even a SYSRQ+I is able
    to let the box resurrect from the livelock). (the possibly
    not on l-k because it's quite big)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.025 / U:36.528 seconds]