SubjectRe: 2.5.19 - What's up with the kernel build?
Kai Germaschewski wrote:

>On Wed, 29 May 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>

>>Well, I really like Keith's kbuild25 too, but Linus said (at least once)
>>he wanted an evolution to a new build system... not an unreasonable
>>request to at least consider. Despite Keith's quality of code (again --
>>I like kbuild25), his 3 patch submissions seemed a lot like ultimatums,
>>very "take it or leave it dammit". Not the best way to win friends and
>>influence people.
>>
>>If Keith is indeed leaving it, I'm hoping someone will maintain it, or
>>work with Kai to integrate it into 2.5.x.
>>

>Oh well, it really wasn't my intention to start the good old kbuild-2.5
>thread at all.
>
>Anyway, I believe kbuild-2.5 has lots of useful ideas and I'll go pick
>pieces - from kbuild-2.5, from dancing-makefiles, from stuff I've done
>myself and work on improving the current build system. But I believe in
>make, and don't think I'll move away from it.
>
>One thing these patches show is that gradual improvement is actually
>possible, so far the kbuild process has gained quite some features with a
>lot of small patches - and some bigger ones, but these are only trivial
>cleanups.
>
>Of course it happened that I introduced some bugs in the process, but the
>fact that fixes were posted to linux-kernel by the next morning shows that
>it's obviously possible for other people to grasp what's going on and fix
>bugs. Rules.make is some 400 lines currently, that's quite a difference to
>kbuild-2.5 core's 30000 lines of code.
>
>Anyway, fortunately it's not up to me to decide what happens. From my
>perspective the plan is to go on with this gradual improvement, in
>particular
>o fix dependencies / modversions (that includes "make dep" going away)
>o allow for separate objdir (this one is actually easy for 95% of the
> compiled files which use standard rules, and lots of work for the
> remaining 5%. So it'll take time to remove the 5% special cases, after
> that things are pretty easy)

A small request to add to the list:

Current 2.4.x kernels build (at least on x86) with
-nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.0.4/include
added to CFLAGS... IMOit is a good idea in general to build all kernel
code this way. (note that userland programs created during build should
not use this rule, of course)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.178 / U:0.080 seconds]