SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 as a router, when is it appropriate?

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Russell Leighton wrote:

> Could someone please tell me (or refer me to docs) on when
> using the Linux on PC hardware as a router is an appropriate
> solution and when one should consider a "real" router (e.g., Cisco)?

I have a Linux-based router and it can handle about as much as a cisco
7206vxr with GE interfaces. I think both of them reaches the bandwidth
limit of the PCI bus. The PC can be much better with 64bit/66MHz PCI
buses or you can even buy motherboards with 100 or 133MHz PCI-X slots. I
guess those can drive 3 or 4 GE interfaces at gigabit speed.

You need a cisco when you care about interface density, you have
interfaces you can't buy for a PC or you need to route protocols other
than IP or proprietary to cisco.

endre

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.116 / U:5.748 seconds]