    SubjectRe: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel
    Keith Owens wrote:
    > On 3 May 2002 10:06:04 GMT,
    > Gerd Knorr <> wrote:
    > >> Do it with NO_MAKEFILE_GEN=1 for much, much! faster builds.
    > >
    > >What exactly is the reason for this hack, i.e. why kbuild wants to
    > >rebuild the Makefiles every time? Isn't it enougth to do that only
    > >if .config has been touched?
    > Or any of the files have changed.

    .config + all's is still a small number of files where
    make has to check the timestamp to see whenever a rebuild of the global
    makefile is needed.

    > Or any of the command line options have changed.

    Which command line options?

    > Or various environment variables have changed.
    > Or the compiler has changed.

    Which environment variables? CC / CFLAGS? Well, with other CFLAGS
    and/or compiler you have to do a full rebuild anyway, thus using "make
    clean" would work equally well ...

    > Or a target file has been altered outside kbuild control.

    Which is the users fault IMO. I don't see the point in trying to catch
    this and make kbuild idiot proof. I doubt it is possible to make kbuild
    clever enougth to handle all evil things a user could do. AI isn't that

    > Coding a special case to work out if the existing global makefile can
    > be reused is horribly error prone.

    Special case? I'd say it is the common case when doing kernel
    development. At least I don't use another compiler for every second
    make. I usually hack some piece of code and recompile the module then.

    You can't please everybody. And usually if you _try_ to please
    everybody, the end result is one big mess.
    -- Linus Torvalds, 2002-04-20

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.025 / U:37.084 seconds]