    SubjectRe: Linux crypto?
    > I noticed that Motorola has published a set of tech
    > docs for their S1-range of crypto co-processors, which
    > look pretty comprehensive. (The 190 looks to be a very
    > nice chip, which -as best as I can tell- just plugs
    > straight onto a PCI bus.) Other co-pro manufacturers
    > (such as HIFN) seem to also have humungous tech
    > manuals for their crypto chips.
    >
    > Is anyone working on drivers for these beasties?

    You might want to check on the apache and openssl lists. A lot of
    crypto drivers are handled from userspace directly or with modules
    that don't hit the base kernel.

    > Given the ipfilter design, would there be any way to
    > use those chips as an additional networking layer?
    > (And, just as importantly, would there be any point?)

    Some of that probably can be offloaded. You'd need code (preferably in
    the user tools) that can compute if a given path through the ipchains
    rules is expressable in the hardware and if so to enable it. In terms
    of things like flow control and other magic try netdev@oss.sgi.com. Dave
    and Jamal get very excited when they talk about NAPI but it just makes
    my head hurt 8)

    > Ignoring, for a second, the US export laws (which are
    > no longer an issue, anyway), is there some fundamental
    > reason why the IKP seems to be ignored? If there is,
    > then does anyone know of any re-design/re-write
    > effort?

    What of it do you actually need in kernel space - encrypted file systems
    certainly ought to be there but are not very well handled in Linux proper
    right now - but anything else ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.060 / U:34.560 seconds]