    SubjectRe: A CD with errors (scratches etc.) blocks the whole system while reading damadged files
    I ran a similar type of test on a (redhat 7.1 ) kernel.
    With the CD on HDD, I could read off of HDA just peachy while
    the system was choking on a scratched (aol) cd.

    I did a WC of a 300MB file (only 256MB of ram on the system,
    so that's guaranteed to not fit in any cache).

    Times to read the file were statistically equivalent whether
    the system was choking on the CD or not.
    Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426
    Powerful committed communication, reaching through fear, uncertainty and
    doubt to touch the jewel within each person and bring it to life.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.027 / U:5.144 seconds]