    SubjectRe: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel
    On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 03:14:10AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > you're right if we need a make clean it's because the buildsystem is
    > broken. However one thing that happens all the time to me, is that I
    > change an header like mm.h or sched.h and ~everything needs to be
    > rebuilt then.

    Yep. Our includes dependancies suck bigtime. Some work has been
    done already in untangling the mess, but a lot more needs to be
    done to really make a real difference.

    Whats scary is that if you look at the dependancy graphs[1] of the
    'best of the worst' includes, it's the same ugly mess we've
    come to know and expect, and yet this is *after* some cleanups
    already happened.

    The 'dump everything into sched.h and friends' things really
    needs splitting up some more, but it's a lot of work, and I don't
    think kbuild2.5 alone is going to make that much difference
    in this regard. Pulling out the component parts of the bigger
    includes is probably the only way around this.

    A driver that needs 'jiffies' defined should not be
    inadvertantly pulling in a hundred include files.

    | Dave Jones.
    | SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.021 / U:141.396 seconds]