SubjectRe: Just an offer
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:48:21AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> Where there is a will, there is a way. As others have reported, you
> can have an old "always-on" machine at the remote site. You can have
> LILO redirect kernel messages out the serial port to be viewed

It strikes me that this is also in part a LILO 'problem'. We could
use some way to tell LILO to only boot a given image _once_ as the
default, and thence reboot to the normal default. Combine this with any
of the methods for remote reboot (hardware watchdog, other machine wired
to reset, whatever) and you can easily recover from a futzed new kernel.
I'm sure LILO can find room for a single byte 'flag' for such things
and an extra per-config option in /etc/lilo.conf.

-Ath, checking the LILO docs to see if it does something like this
already...
--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org.uk / http://www.clan-lovely.org/~athan/
Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key