SubjectRe: Device driver question
Uttered "Bloch, Jack" <>, spoke thus:

> I have a specific case where our HW can generate a
> special interrupt. In this case I simply want the ISR to halt the system
> (i.e. take the same action as if I typed halt from the command line). How
> can I from within my device driver cause a halt? Please CC me specifically
> on any replies.

Check out the code for "sys_reboot" in "kernel/sys.c" for ideas on how to do
this. I don't think you can invoke "sys_reboot" from inside an interrupt
handler, but you could probably do the same thing by calling the service
routines "sys_reboot" does.

If that doesn't shut your machine down gracefully, then you might resort to
"call_usermodehelper" in "kernel/kmod.c" to run "/sbin/shutdown -h now". You
can't invoke "call_usermodehelper" from an interrupt top half, but it should
work find from a tasklett.