    SubjectRe: Reiserfs has killed my root FS!?!
    Oleg Drokin wrote:

    >>Sorry to bother you, but are you sure you spelled it correctly? The
    >
    > I am.

    Sorry.

    >>I have the same problem on a machine (made worse by the fact that the
    >>filesystem was a RAID0 partition).
    >>I keep getting "wrong superblock", even after I told reiserfsck to
    >>rebuild the superblock.
    >
    > You mean, after the --rebuild-sb command?

    Yes. The first time I ran reiserfsck --rebuild-tree it told me to
    rebuild the superblock and so I ran --rebuild-sb. The startup messages
    only say the format is 3.5.x, so I selected the <=3.5.9 option

    > What exactly have happened to your FS, BTW?

    A complete - and so far unexplained - system freeze. The distro is SuSE
    7.3, kernel 2.4.10. I have used it at home ever since it came out
    without a single problem, so I'm quite surprised it died after a few
    days of operations just serving a Samba share and acting as a Squid
    proxy at the office (6-7 people using it, not heavy traffic).

    The screen was blank and it needed a hard reboot. After the reboot I had
    the same error the initial post reported.

    I do not know if the raid0 partition failed in some way and it crashed
    the system, or whether the system froze for some ther reason and the
    hard reboot messed up the partition as well - although I tend to favor
    the second case. I might have forgotten to disable APM, which on a
    number of Dell machines has given me problems (the box is an old Dell
    XPS with a 266 MHz PII). Possibly, APM kicked in and it froze the
    machine - but I'm surprised this happened after over a week of continued
    operations.

    Well, I'll be very grateful for any insight you can offer

    Eugenio

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.024 / U:30.500 seconds]