SubjectRe: [STATUS 2.5] May 1, 2002 (BKL status)
Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
> There has also been a lot of work done by various people to
> remove the BKL from many places, which leads to my question:
> does anyone has a URL with a list of all the places where the
> BKL should eventually be removed and who's working on it?
>
> It seems like it would be most useful if someone was willing
> to maintain something like this, but it might be a lot of
> work - I don't know how long the list would be...

I may not be the leading BKL expert, but I play one on TV :)

Perhaps one of the kernel-janitor people would like to assist me with
this (cc'ing that list). I'd be willing to keep a web page to list all
current BKL uses and keep track of them as they are removed/added
Perhaps a set of web pages which resemble the directory structure of the
kernel tree would be helpful??

Here's a good question for kernel-janitor, and anyone else who's
interested, what format describing BKL use would most encourage you to
go and remove it? We already have Rick Lindsley's Global spinlock list:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lse/locking_doc-2.4.16 . The BKL
use in there is somewhat dated, but might be a good start.

I have some awk scripts that I use on each new kernel release to check
for new and removed uses of the BKL. I can adapt these to start
checking new BK changesets for BKL changes.

--
Dave Hansen
haveblue@us.ibm.com