SubjectRe: Bug: Discontigmem virt_to_page() [Alpha,ARM,Mips64?]
On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 03:35:20AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Thursday 02 May 2002 02:20, Anton Blanchard wrote:
> > > so ia64 is one of those archs with a ram layout with huge holes in the
> > > middle of the ram of the nodes? I'd be curious to know what's the
> > > hardware advantage of designing the ram layout in such a way, compared
> > > to all other numa archs that I deal with. Also if you know other archs
> > > with huge holes in the middle of the ram of the nodes I'd be curious to
> > > know about them too. thanks for the interesting info!
> >
> > From arch/ppc64/kernel/iSeries_setup.c:
> >
> > * The iSeries may have very large memories ( > 128 GB ) and a partition
> > * may get memory in "chunks" that may be anywhere in the 2**52 real
> > * address space. The chunks are 256K in size.
> >
> > Also check out CONFIG_MSCHUNKS code and see why I'd love to see a generic
> > solution to this problem.
>
> Using the config_nonlinear model, you'd change the four mapping functions:
>
> logical_to_phys
> phys_to_logical
> pagenum_to_phys
> phys_to_pagenum
>
> to use a hash table instead of a table lookup. Bill Irwin suggested a btree
> would work here as well.

btree? btree is not an interesting in core data structure. Anyways you
can use a btree with discontigmem too for the lookup. nonlinear will pay
off if you've something of the order of 256 discontigmem chunks with
significant holes in between like origin 2k, and I think it should be
resolved internally to the arch without exposing it to the common code.

> (Note I'm trying out the term 'pagenum' instead of 'ordinal' here, following
> comments on lse-tech.)
>
> --
> Daniel

Andrea