    SubjectRe: Extraversion in
    On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:29:47 +0900 (JST),
    Tom Holroyd <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Keith Owens wrote:
    >> only contains the numeric kernel version. After all, it is
    >> difficult to convert 2.4.19-pre6 to Version_132115-pre6 when symbols
    >> cannot contain '-'.
    >Well, that has an obvious solution, but modifying the Version string
    >would likely break something. Adding another string would work. It
    >could even be done without making the kernel image bigger. In fact,
    >the Version_* symbol (and Extraversion_* symbol) could both be made
    >__initdata, couldn't they?

    Where the symbol's content is placed is irrelevant.
    contains the symbol _name_, not its _contents_. But symbol names
    cannot contain the special characters that people put in extraversion.
    Even mapping the special characters to '_' will not help because a lot
    of people do not change extraversion when changing config and the
    change of config can really move symbols around. Hence all the checks
    that ksymoops does to validate symbol addresses between multiple

    I have some ideas about making and the kernel record which
    build they refer to, including the .config data. But that is 2.5
    material, after kbuild 2.5 goes in.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.026 / U:51.988 seconds]