    SubjectRe: Two fixes for 2.4.19-pre5-ac3
    On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:53:38AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    > If you are going to be doing strange things I don't see why that shouldn't
    > still be required.

    Practically speaking System.map is often wrongly installed. Additionally
    Keith Owens has (sensibly I think) refused to support this sort of
    thing.

    > Though I am wondering if the sane approach for a profiler might not to be
    > have a kernel conditional compilation directive that simply patches
    > the syscall path. The overhead is probably less as well.

    This would be OK for us, iff it was on by default. We want to avoid
    forcing users to install kernel source and compile up a new kernel,
    because it's not just useful for kernel profiling.

    Currently it's just a matter of install the module and go, which is
    undeniably very useful.

    regards
    john

    --
    "I never understood what's so hard about picking a unique
    first and last name - and not going beyond the 6 character limit."