SubjectRe: Linux 2.5.8-pre2
On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Russell King wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:42:45PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Russell King wrote:
> > > (Oh, and a bugbear - people go running around adding checks for the
> > > return value of request_region and friends on embedded devices where
> > > there can't be the possibility of a clash waste memory needlessly.)
> >
> > Perhaps you want to modularize the driver later? Resource management also
> > prevents you from insmoding two drivers for the same hardware.
>
> Point 1: You can't perform resource management on the System RAM since
> they're already claimed.

Hmmm... Just guessing: perhaps because you created the System RAM resource
using request_mem_region() instead of request_resource()?

On Amiga the Chip RAM allocator uses the resource management system, and both
the whole bunch of Chip RAM (parent) and all allocated blocks (children) show
up in /proc/iomem.

> Point 2: You can't perform resource management on bits in a control
> register that performs many other random functions; resource management
> is byte based not bit based.

That's indeed more nasty.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert