    SubjectRe: Two fixes for 2.4.19-pre5-ac3
    On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:41:14PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
    > On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:49:17PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Removing it in the -ac tree is a good way to stimulate discussion
    > OK
    > > fixing the code that relies on it (except for the 99% of code relying on it
    > > which is cracker authored trojans)
    > No doubt, but it's not much harder to look at nm vmlinux or,
    > so I don't see the security angle...
    > I'd be happy to bear the brunt of users moaning at me because they now
    > have to apply a kernel patch (and I have to maintain it ...), iff there
    > was some strongly technical reason the code has to change.

    I'd like to second that. syscalltrack (
    hijacks syscall entries in the sys_call_table as well, because we
    want it to work as a module and not require patching the kernel. Our
    solution to the module unload race on syscall de-hijacking is simple,
    splitting the system call hijacking code into a single small module
    which once loaded cannot be unloaded.

    So please keep the sys_call_table exported and marked as "ugh, not
    portable and racy, please dont hijack system calls unless you really
    have to" unless there's a strongly technical reason otherwise. Our
    users (all 7 of them) will appreciate it ;)
    The ill-formed Orange
    Fails to satisfy the eye:
    Segmentation fault.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.024 / U:19.496 seconds]