SubjectRe: Linux 2.5.8-pre2
On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:42:45PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Russell King wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:17:28PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > Please either add resource management code to anakinfb and clps711xfb,
> > > or apply the patch below.
> >
> > They're not ISA nor PCI - in fact, they're specific system-on-a-chip
> > framebuffers. I therefore don't see the point of your patch.
>
> Even then, please don't add them to the section marked with the comment
> `Chipset specific drivers that use resource management'. My patch just moves
> their initialization to the section marked with the comment `Chipset specific
> drivers that don't use resource management (yet)'. So it's still valid.

Ok, I agree the clps711x can be moved. As for Anakin, that's up to the
anakin people to sort out - I've mailed them directly. There's a bunch
of other stuff in there as well that needs to be fixed up.

> > (Oh, and a bugbear - people go running around adding checks for the
> > return value of request_region and friends on embedded devices where
> > there can't be the possibility of a clash waste memory needlessly.)
>
> Perhaps you want to modularize the driver later? Resource management also
> prevents you from insmoding two drivers for the same hardware.

Point 1: You can't perform resource management on the System RAM since
they're already claimed.
Point 2: You can't perform resource management on bits in a control
register that performs many other random functions; resource management
is byte based not bit based.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux