SubjectRe: [patch] 2.4.19-pre6 standardize {aic7xxx,aicasm}/Makefile
>Standardize the makefiles for aic7xxx and aic7xxx/aicasm.
> Use standard kbuild 2.4 rules.

Are these documented somewhere? I emulated "scsi/Makefile" some
time back, but it must be out of date with current conventions.

Three other quick questions:

1) Why doesn't "make dep" pickup the dependencies you have added
explicitly the aic7xxx/Makefile? I would expect at least this
dependency to be picked up:

+
+# Only aic7xxx_core.c includes aic7xxx_seq.h.
+aic7xxx_core.o: aic7xxx_seq.h

The other, indirect, dependencies (through aic7xxx.h) are picked
up in every other OS this driver supports. I suppose "make dep"'s
shortcuts mean you have to hard code stuff to make it work.

2) Are there plans to allow "down tree" Makefiles to list there own
clean files? Having to modify the top level Makefile is a bit messy.

3) Why remove the ability to override the module target name? I eventually
renamed my driver's main file to avoid this issue because I will be adding
a second driver to the aic7xxx/Makefile (U320), but this same thing
will probably come up again.

Lastly, I'm not sure why there was a discrepancy between aic7xxx_drv.o
and aic7xxx.o. I just checked my local tree, and scsi/Makefile was
already corrected. I will have to verify the files in the future, post
merge, to make sure all of the changes have been accepted.

Thanks for you help on this.

--
Justin