    SubjectRe: How to write portable MMIO code?
    On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 02:41:56PM -0500, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
    > Well, my understanding is the following: (if I get something wrong,
    > hopefully somebody who's reading this will correct me)
    > the barrier(), {,r,w}mb() stuff is for actually for normal memory
    > accesses.
    > About barrier():
    > If you have
    > *p1 = 1; *p2 = 2;
    > the compiler may decide to reorder this to (if it knows that p1 != p2)
    > *p2 = 2; *p1 = 1;
    > A barrier() in between will inhibit this reordering.
    > For some archs, even the barrier() is not sufficient to serialize the
    > accesses to RAM. The compiler may generate something like
    > mov [p1], 1
    > mov [p2], 2
    > but on e.g. alpha (where the asm would look differently ;-), the processor
    > may decide to put the second instruction on the memory bus before the
    > first one. Only an mb in between will guarantee the ordering on the
    > memory bus.

    That's a good summary of the memory ordering issues one normally runs

    > Now, for IO, basically the same holds, though I wouldn't want to guarantee
    > that the macros designed for the memory bus would work on the PCI bus as
    > expected.

    Right. In fact, waiting on I/O busses can take a bit longer than
    making sure the processor executes memory transactions in the order
    you'd like.

    > However, I do *believe*, that the readl/writel functions implicitly do the
    > right thing and introduce barriers where needed. On x86 e.g., the macros
    > do a cast to (volatile *), which will ensure that these functions are
    > compiled without reordering. As x86 is strongly ordered, no additional
    > mb() or whatever is necessary (nor does it exist) to make sure that this
    > ordering will propagate to the PCI bus.

    Right, readl/writel will order things wrt the compiler and
    processor, but not necessarily the I/O bus. On IA64, we've introduced
    mmiob() to address this. It acts just like mb(), but wrt I/O address
    space. The ia64 patch for 2.5 includes some documentation about it,
    I'd love to see other arches implement something similar (even as a
    simple nop) so that machines with weakly ordered I/O busses will work
    as expected.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.026 / U:17.908 seconds]