SubjectRe: initrd and devfs

I'm not absolutely sure that this is what you want, but I think I have a
similar case.
I boot from a CD a kernel which has cdrom support compiled as modules, and
devfs compiled in:

syslinux starts kernel with this:
/boot/bzImage devfs=mount root=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 initrd=/boot/initrd

Then the initrd loads the needed modules, and _exits_.
The kernel then mounts the given root, and the system boots successfully.

So all I needed to do is give the root partition as a parameter, and no
mkrootdev or pivot_root was needed.

--
Balazs Pozsar

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Keith Owens wrote:

> I am having problems with the combination of initrd and devfs.
>
> mkinitrd 3.3.9, hacked to build an ia64 initrd on ia32.
> Kernel 2.4.18-ia64-020410, config extract.
>
> CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=8192
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
>
> linuxrc commands:
>
> insmod /lib/qla1280.o
> echo Mounting /proc filesystem
> mount -t proc /proc /proc
> echo Creating root device
> mkrootdev /dev/root
> fails "mkrootdev: mknod failed: 17". devfs has already created
> /dev/root as a symlink.
> echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
> echo Mounting root filesystem
> mount --ro -t ext2 /dev/root /sysroot
> fails "mount: error 16 mounting ext2" because /dev/root is wrong.
> pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd
> fails "pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2"
>
> By removing /dev/root immediately before mkrootdev /dev/root I can get
> past those errors, even pivot_root works. But then it gets nasty :-
>
> INIT: version 2.78 booting
> Welcome to Red Hat Linux
> Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
> Mounting proc filesystem: [ OK ]
> Unmounting initrd: umount: /initrd: device is busy
> Because of this mount - none /initrd/dev devfs rw 0 0
>
> If I boot with initrd and devfs=nomount it goes through initrd
> processing and successfully umounts initrd, but then fails "Remounting
> root filesystem in read-write mode: mount: no such partition found".
> /proc/mounts contains
>
> /dev/root / ext2 ro 0 0
>
> What is the correct way of using initrd and devfs together?
>
> devfsd.conf is not the answer, initrd does not run the devfsd daemon.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.780 / U:0.960 seconds]