SubjectMotzilla crashes system
Date
Sorry to bug you folks, but I appear to have multiple problems, one of which
sounds like a kernel problem.

I upgraded from RedHat 7.1 (2.2.19smp kernel) to redhat 7.2 (2.4.7-10smp).
I had some Ximian red carpet enhancements, and after the upgrade (and after
resolving some bios issues), I applied the upgrades recommended by ximian
red carpet.

2 bugs have made themselves visible to me. First, cron emails me every 10
minutes telling me that /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1 1 "Cannot append to that file"
(what ever that file is).

The second problem (and more disturbing), is that when I run Netscape (as a
user, not as root) the entire system crashes (won't even answer to ping).
When I re-boot, grub no longer load and I have to re-install grub from the
distribution CD. What is most troubling, is that everything in my /boot
partition is write protected to all but root. So how can a user application
change anything in there?

I realize I have probably not given you enough info, but I am not
experienced enough to know what info would be useful, nor how to find much
of anything.

If I am directing this question to the wrong place, please accept my
apologies, and just point me in the right direction.

I thank you for any help you can offer.

Gordon Gray.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.054 / U:0.268 seconds]