SubjectRE: FPU, i386
Date
There is an error here which shouldn't be propagated:

if (fabs(a-b) < 1.0e-38)

"Machine epsilon" for doubles (namely, the difference between 1.0 and
the next largest number) is on the order of 2e-16. This is a rough
estimate of the granularity of round-off error; and in fact 1.0 / 0.2
and 5.0 can't possibly be as close as 1.0e-38, unless they're exactly
equal.

There are four epsilon-ish things to be aware of:

* Difference between 0.0 and next float above: ~= 1.4e-45
* Difference between 0.0 and next double above: ~= 4.9e-324
* Difference between 1.0 and next float above: ~= 1.2e-7
* Difference between 1.0 and next double above: ~= 2.2e-16

The first two are more useful for things like detecting underflow; the
last two (some numerical folks suggest using their square roots) are
more useful for implementing an "approximately equals".

The poster was incorrect in expecting 1.0 / 0.2 to be exactly equal to
anything, as was explained to him. But the problem doesn't have to do
with whether a number is transcendental, or irrational, or rational:
the number must be rational *and* must have a mantissa whose
denominator is a power of two *and* that power of two must be less than
or equal to 23 (for single) or 52 (for double). And of course 1/5 is
2^-3 * 8/5, of which the mantissa has denominator 5, which isn't a power
of two.

So we all should know not to expect floating-point numbers to be
exactly equal to anything; that's been established. However, another
more basic question was not answered; curiosity (if nothing else)
demands an answer. Namely, it's OK to say we can't expect 1.0/0.2 ==
5.0. But why is the result of (what is apparently) the same
computation *sometimes* the same, and *sometimes* different? That's the
question.

And I think it's fair for the poster to want to know why.

If you disassemble the sample program, you'll see that without
optimization, 1.0 is divided by 0.2 at *run* time, and compared with
5.0; with optimization, the division is done, and the "<" and
"==" comparisons are done, at *compile* time. OK, but: If we're not
cross-compiling (most people don't), then the compiler creating a.out
is running on perhaps the same box as a.out is! Why does gcc, folding
the constant in the optimized a.out, get a different answer for 1.0/0.2
than the unoptimized a.out gets for 1.0/0.2?

Not only that, without optimization:

if (1/h < 5.0)

gives a different answer inside a.out than

x = 1/h;
if (x < 5.0)

The key is that Pentiums (Pentia?) have 80-bit floating-point numbers
in the FPU. Without optimization, at compile time, gcc represents 5.0
as 0x4014000000000000. 0.2 is 0x3fc999999999999a. These are both
64-bit doubles -- 1 sign bit, 11 exponent bits, & 52 explicit mantissa
bits (and 1 implicit leading mantissa bit, not stored in memory.)

In the case "if (1/h < 5.0)", at run time, 1.0 is loaded into the FPU
using fld1; then "fdivl {address of 0.2 in memory}". The result is the
*80-bit* number 0x40019ffffffffffffd80. The 64-bit number 5.0
(0x4014000000000000) is loaded into the FPU to become the 80-bit number
0x4001a000000000000000. Then, these two 80-bit numbers are compared in
the FPU; they're of course not the same.

What's different in the case "x = 1/h; if (x < 5.0) ..." is that both
80-bit numbers are stored from the FPU to memory as 64-bit (rounding
off the mantissa bits which differ), at which point they're both
0x4014000000000000, then loaded *back* into the FPU where they're
both 0x4001a000000000000000.

This isn't an FPU bug, by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it a
compiler bug. But it's a subtle difference between the Pentium's FPU
and other FPUs, of which it may occasionally be useful to be aware.