SubjectRe: AW: Re: VLAN and Network Drivers 2.4.x

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 jd@epcnet.de wrote:

> [...]

See linux-kernel archives.. some time ago Paul P Komkoff Jr <i@stingr.net>
posted a patch for tulip to make VLANs work.. the subject of the post was
something like "tulip and VLAN tagging".

> > Because the solutions are hardware specific to allow these extra
> > 4 bytes to be received by the card. Some cards, in fact, cannot
> > support VLAN at all because they cannot be programmed at all to
> > take those 4 extra bytes.
>
> Ok. But why isn't there a "tag" (capabilities?) on the drivers which let vconfig barf with a message like "underlying network driver or hardware doesn't support VLAN"?
>
> > No it isn't useless. There are many network drivers for which VLAN
> > works out of the box RIGHT NOW.
>
> Ok. But i don't get a message about the drivers which don't work. Which driver work/which not? Isn't it easier to tag all drivers as not VLAN-ready till somebody make a patch or confirm that its working with VLAN?
>
> On the other side, my ZNYX works "out of the box" too. It works till 1468 Bytes ;) - I tend to say that ALL nic-drivers/hardware work till 1468 Bytes. But its not the intention of VLAN to lower the MTU on each Client.

- Pasi Kärkkäinen

^
. .
Linux
/ - \
Choice.of.the
.Next.Generation.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.129 / U:1.504 seconds]