SubjectRe: [patch] page->flags cleanup
Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > - UnlockPage is removed. All callers updated to use unlock_page().
> > it's a real function - there's no need to hide that fact.
>
> Hmm, well, I'd prefer not to change that very widely used name;
> but I've no serious objection if you wish to.

UnlockPage() looks like a simple clear_bit(), but it very much isn't.
I think it's better this way.

> > - PageSwapCache() is renamed to page_swap_cache(), so it doesn't
> > pretend to be a page->flags bit test.
>
> Again, I'd prefer to leave PageSwapCache as is: it used to have a
> page->flags bit, it might be given a page->flags bit again in future
> (multiple swapper_spaces?). I don't think "Page" in the macro name
> should have to imply implementation using a page->flags bit. But
> again, I've no serious objection if you wish to make this change.

OK, I re-renamed the predicate back to PageSwapCache, added some
commentary about this.

> 1. The two "if (PageSwapCache(page)) BUG();"s in mm/page_alloc.c
> are redundant and should just be deleted rather than converted:
> we have just checked that page->mapping is unset, so (excepting
> a volatile mod of a kind which would need an infinite number of
> identical tests to protect against) of course it isn't &swapper_space
> (but the compiler doesn't optimize away). The two PageSwapCache BUG
> tests in mm/page_io.c similarly redundant and should also be deleted.

OK, I've done this in a separate patch.

> 2. I can't see from your mail (patch against an earlier version?) what
> happened to the comment immediately above #define PageError(page)
> in 2.5.9/include/linux/mm.h - the comment beginning "The first mb".
> That comment originally belonged to UnlockPage(), and should have
> been moved to unlock_page() when that went into mm/filemap.c.
> I sometimes wonder whether those two "mb"s are actually still
> required (quite a lot has changed since they went in), but that's
> a different kind of question, and certainly not one I can answer.

I moved the comment to unlock_page().

> 3. You're removing PG_skip and shifting highers down (in patch you
> mailed separately): good, but please remove PG_unused too and shift
> highers down (I cautiously renamed PG_swap_cache to PG_unused when
> changing PageSwapCache macro, the time for that caution has past).

I wondered what that was doing there ;) Done.

Updated patch series (compiles, untested, should be OK) is at
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.10/

Thanks.

Sometime I'll bite the bullet and actually change all .c
files to include page-flags.h direct. I did that yesterday
but wasn't happy with it. There are some unfortunate dependencies
in pagemap.h and highmem.h which need cleaning up first.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.054 / U:0.808 seconds]