SubjectRe: BUG: 2 NICs on same network

> Actually, as long as you have your system set up to route based on source
> address (which you probably should if you care about strict arp replies)
> arp_filter seems to work properly. I just tested with a 2.4.18 box, with the
> following address configuration:

ok, I see, so both interfaces are replying to the arp request but this time, the first interface to reply, eth0, will have its
arp reply filtered by the arp_filter as ip_route_output will indicate eth1 as the outgoing interface for a packet that has its
source set to the ip to resolve, which has a source route policy entry to point to eth1, is it ?

But then, by curiosity, is there some reasons why two different interfaces shouldn't be in the same subnet ? I was in this
impression having configured some cisco routers which don't even accept this configuration. Is it possible on other network
devices ? Is there any theoretical justification ?

thanks for your explanations,

--
Vincent Guffens