SubjectRe: TCP: Treason uncloaked DoS ??
Date
On Friday 19 April 2002 18:17, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Tim Kay <timk@advfn.com> writes:
> > that the connections are kept open if the client connecting doesn't
> > actually go away so surely lots of these ocurring at once would overload
> > a server. I have googled this and an occasional instance seems normal and
> > could be down to a broken client, but lots from different IP addr's at
> > once??
>
> It is a TCP bug of the other side.

that's strange, I encountered exactly the same message in my syslog while
doing backups between two Linux machines, it was somewhere around 2.4.15 I
think.

> You can safely comment out the printk. It would be interesting however
> to find out what the other side is running and yell at the vendor.
>
> > I'm a bit concerned that maybe someone is warming up for a hit or
> > something.
>
> More likely someone released a new buggy TCP stack to the world.

Is it possible that there are other things which can cause this?
Or does it really mean that Linux has a buggy TCP stack!?
I simply cannot believe this ;-)
cheers,
Yven

--