    SubjectRe: 2.5.8-dj1 with IDE TCQ doesn't survive boot
    On Wed, Apr 17 2002, Adam Kropelin wrote:
    > Jens,
    > Tried 2.5.8-dj1 here with IDE TCQ and it doesn't make it through
    > bootup. The lockup (no oops) happens at various places, usually during
    > a disk-intensive operation like starting PostgreSQL. Disk & chipset
    > detection always goes ok; the lockup is much later in the boot cycle.
    > Nothing shows up in the logs.

    There are two unknowns for me here -- the IBM model you use has not been
    tested, and the adapter is the old PIIX3 core which is untested as well.
    There are a few things I would like you to try, if you don't mind.

    - First try a later kernel, there have been lots of changes since 2.5.8
    wrt TCQ. I've attached a patch against 2.5.8-clean (not -dj1), could
    you see if that works for you?

    - If that doesn't change anything, please also try and disable

    If none of this makes it work, I'm hoping you can setup a serial console
    and do some debug logging for me? If you can, I'll let you know how and
    what to capture.

    Thanks for your report!

    Jens Axboe

    [unhandled content-type:application/x-bunzip2]
     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:7.464 seconds]