    SubjectRe: Memory Leaking. Help!
    On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > 10 Days ago I installed DNS and DHCPd servers from RedHat and noticed that
    > > "top" shows the amount of consumed memory is slowly and constantly
    > > growing. Machine became unstable and a few users complained that their
    > > files disappeared. ( we have good backup ). I re-booted 4 days ago and now
    > > it looks it is doing it again. Could this be BIND?
    > Wildly improbable. Slow shifts in memory usage occur naturally so don't be
    > totally mislead by it. Named for example will grow and shrink over time
    > according to what it has cached and what people asked for.

    But it took half of my swap (4GB) as well. A bit too much
    for a little bind. How to explain this?

    > > 1) Could you please advice how can I detect memory leaks. ( I guess it is
    > > not an easy task on production server.
    > >
    > > 2) Is there a tool which I can use to log memory usage
    > ps, looking in /proc at the address space maps too.
    > What you almost certainly want to do first is run memtest86 as suggested
    > by others.

    There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as
    easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no
    longer know how to use my telephone.

    Ivan Teliatnikov,
    F05 David Edgeworth Building,
    Department of Geology and Geophysics,
    School of Geosciences,
    University of Sydney, 2006

    ph: 061-2-9351-2031 (w)
    fax: 061-2-9351-0184 (w)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:3.140 seconds]