    SubjectRe: Event logging vs enhancing printk

    > It would be easier, to fix the printk's, than to put evlogging into any
    > particular piece of the kernel.

    Fine, let's call evlog "an enhanced printk" and discuss the specific technical
    details of the proposition.

    > Evlog side-by-side with printk adds significat bloat.

    Whenever you change/enhance such things you may need coexistance for a while.
    However this is configurable, and to a certain extent temporary, bloat.

    > > - Structured data events for which it is easier to apply filtering, querying,
    > > analysis and detection tools.
    > this is a post processing problem.
    > What I hear you asking for, is to make it more of
    > the kernels responsibilty easing the problem of analysing the out put,
    > as opposed to making that the responsibilty of user space
    > postprocessing.

    Actually this is pushing the formatting out of the kernel, is more efficient,
    and it leaves more flexibility to the logging daemon!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:18.600 seconds]