    SubjectRe: linux as a minicomputer ?
    On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 12:49, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    > On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:43:31PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
    > > * John P. Looney (john@antefacto.com) wrote:
    > > > Sorry if this isn't the place for this question, but it's something that
    > > > came up in general office talk today.
    > > >
    > > > Many many moons ago, the GGI project promised us the ability to buy a
    > > > four-processor box, four PCI video cards, four USB mice & keyboards, and
    > > > let four people use that machine at once, with benefits all around.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > > Are there any plans to bring this sort of functionality to Linux 2.6 ? As
    > > > I remember, some of the problems were that the GGI code was never going to
    > > > get into Linux proper, and enumeration of multiple keyboards and mice, but
    > > > I would have thought that was there a need, these problems would have been
    > > > fixed by now.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure, but I don't think any code is needed if you run X. Bung
    > > four USB mice, four USB keyboards in and four video cards. Write a
    > > separate X config for each one specifying which PCI card should be used
    > > and which mouse/keyboard device should be used. Now start an X server
    > > for each one.
    >
    > Doesn't work unfortunately. The separate Xservers stomp on each others
    > toes in the process. It works if you use fbcon (thus no acceleration, no
    > 3d), USB, and hack the X servers not to switch consoles, and take
    > keyboard input from /dev/input/event devices. But that's still far from
    > the desired state of things.
    why would they step on eachother's toes? You tell each one to goto a
    separate vc and give each a separate identifier :2 vt8 :3 vt9 etc. If
    each one is using a separate video card, then they should all be able to
    run accelerated (no dri) and be fine.

    > > (Fun should form in the efforts to figure out which mouse is associated
    > > with which keyboard and with which video output).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.023 / U:1.072 seconds]