SubjectRe: linux as a minicomputer ?
On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 01:07:44PM -0400, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 12:49, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> > > <snip>

> > > I'm not sure, but I don't think any code is needed if you run X. Bung
> > > four USB mice, four USB keyboards in and four video cards. Write a
> > > separate X config for each one specifying which PCI card should be used
> > > and which mouse/keyboard device should be used. Now start an X server
> > > for each one.
> >
> > Doesn't work unfortunately. The separate Xservers stomp on each others
> > toes in the process. It works if you use fbcon (thus no acceleration, no
> > 3d), USB, and hack the X servers not to switch consoles, and take
> > keyboard input from /dev/input/event devices. But that's still far from
> > the desired state of things.
> why would they step on eachother's toes? You tell each one to goto a
> separate vc and give each a separate identifier :2 vt8 :3 vt9 etc. If
> each one is using a separate video card, then they should all be able to
> run accelerated (no dri) and be fine.

1) Only one VT can be active at a time. Even with multiple cards. Thus
only one X server will be active at a time, others will show a blank
screen.

2) If you hack out the VT switching out of X, then still each X server
will disable all PCI resources for other video cards, because it
believes it owns the system. This will freeze all other active X
servers.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs