    SubjectRe: implementing soft-updates
    On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:

    > On Apr 09, 2002 20:41 -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > > In case you are still thinking about what to do, here are a
    > > few filesystem ideas that you might like:

    > > mark idle filesystems clean; mark dirty before non-atomic updates
    > - maybe marginally useful

    I would think far mnore than marginally useful... this would provide
    an improved possibility of avoiding fsck, something many people would find
    desirable. And along that line I'll offer one more idea, not to increment
    the mount count if a f/s is mounted and no writes are done to the f/s,
    such as ro mount, noatime mount and no writes, etc. The check for fsck
    after N mounts was designed to assist with reliability, not be a penalty
    in boot time.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc