Subjectmodule programming smp-safety howto?
Hi,

I'm responsible for the development of a kernel module for Sigma
Designs EM84xx PCI chips (MPEG2 and MPEG4 hardware decoder
boards). It's working properly now, irq sharing and multiple board
support is ok.

I would like to make it smp-safe.

For instance, I use at a place cli()/restore to implement something that
looks like a critical section (first code path is in a ioctl, second
in a irq top half). I guess this approach is wrong with smp.

Is there some documentation or howto about what changes compared
to non-smp computers?

Maybe a specific kernel module can be considered as a good model?

Sincerely yours,

--
Emmanuel Michon
Chef de projet