    SubjectRe: RAID superblock confusion
    On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 03:39:09PM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > Mike Fedyk writes:
    > > On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 02:37:48PM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > > >
    > > > The device is set up (i.e. SCSI host driver is loaded) long before I
    > > > do raidstart /dev/md/0
    > >
    > > But kernel auto-detection doesn't depend on the raidstart command. If
    > > things are setup correctly, you can remove that from your init scripts.
    >
    > I'm not (explicitely) using auto-detection. When I insmod the raid0
    > module, there are no messages about finding devices. All I get is:
    > md: raid0 personality registered as nr 2
    >
    > Only when I run raidstart do I get kernel messages about the devices.
    >
    > In any case, I should be able to move my devices around (especially
    > if /etc/raidtab is still correct), whether or not autostart is
    > running. The behaviour I'm observing is a bug (I assume it's not a
    > mis-feature, since the raidstart man page tells me that moving devices
    > around should be safe).

    Ehh, I ran into this a while ago. When you compile raid as modules it
    doesn't use the raid superblocks for anything except for verification. I
    took a quick glance at the source and the auto-detect code is ifdefed out if
    you compiled as a module.

    Ever since I have had raid compiled into my kernels.

    Mike

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.024 / U:63.272 seconds]