    SubjectRe: Mouse interrupts: the death knell of a VP6
    On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Oleg Drokin wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:02:05AM -0500, Brent Cook wrote:
    >
    > > I have an ABIT VP6 motherboard, using the VIA Apollo chipset and 2 700Mhz
    > > PIII's, but please don't hold that against me. The system is running
    > > 2.4.19-pre6. I believe that I either have a system that has trouble
    > > handling a sudden bursts of interrupts, or have found a fault in mouse
    > > handling.
    >
    > Have you tried to change MPS mode to 1.1 from 1.4 (I see addres message timeouts
    > in your log)?

    No, I had not. I will though, and will report if this causes some change.
    Everything looks fine for the first five minutes though.

    > > I have already tried removing memory, adding memory, changing processors,
    > > video cards. The only thing that has remained constant is the VP6
    > > motherboard and the hard drive.
    >
    > My VP6 died on me recently with some funny symptoms:
    > it hangs in X when I start netscape and move mouse, or if I do
    > bk clone on kernel tree, it dies with
    > kernel BUG at /usr/src/linux-2.4.18/include/asm/smplock.h:62!

    Very interesting. I could do the same thing, and have a similar lock with
    a PS/2 mouse. I will start looking in smplock.h if the MPS change does not
    help.

    > BUG in various places pretty soon.
    > (this BUG is only appears if 2 CPUs are present in motherboard).
    > So if your troubles began only recently, you might want to try another
    > motherboard just to be sure.

    I received the motherboard used, so I do not know if this is a recent
    development. I have tried several other kernels which all show the same
    locking behavior with PS/2 mice (2.4.17, 2.4.18, 2.5.7-dj3.) The previous
    owner ran Windows XP (developer preview) on the board, and it had a
    tendency to lock often, especially under high IO. I attributed this to
    software issues, though now I wonder why the previous owner _really_ gave
    it to me!

    I have used a Tyan Tiger 100 with two processors and an Intel BX chipset,
    with great success and no similar locks, so I am 50% certain that a
    hardware difference is the root cause of the problem. Hopefully, someone
    else will have seen similar problems.

    > Bye,
    > Oleg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.036 / U:0.552 seconds]