    SubjectRe: furwocks: Fast Userspace Read/Write Locks
    Rusty Russell wrote:

    > In message <> you write:
    >>>question: if rwlocks aren't actually slower in the fast path than
    >>>would it make sense to only do the rw variant and in some userspace
    >>>map "traditional" semaphores to write locks ?
    >>>Saves half the implementation and testing....
    >>I m not in favor of that. The dominant lock will be mutexes.
    > To clarify: I'd love this, but rwlocks in the kernel aren't even
    > vaguely fair. With a steady stream of overlapping readers, a writer
    > will never get the lock.
    > Hope that clarifies,

    But you talk about the current implementation, don't you?
    Is there something to prevent an implementation of rwlocks in the
    kernel, where a wrlock will lock (postponed) further rdlock requests?

    I mean: the wrlocker prevents newly rdlocks to succeed and waits for the
    current rdlockers to release the lock an then gets the lock..

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.035 / U:14.912 seconds]