SubjectRE: ext3 and undeletion

I'm taking an idea from the NetApp filer and using LVM to solve these
issues. I'm hoping it will work as planned and not lose too much
performance. I am going to create snapshots of certain partitions with
LVM at different time indexes. I will use these snapshots to recover
lost data and to backup to tape.

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 18:04, Rose, Billy wrote:
> To me, Linux is about freedom. As we all know, freedom comes with a price.
> My company has users that sit on Win9x boxes and use Explorer to connect to
> a set of Netware boxes. These boxes house critical data. I didn't create
> this system, it grew to what it is before my time. If it were up to me, all
> of the users would be running Emacs or some other great editor (vim is my
> favorite), and connect to a Linux machine via CVS with a Linux box to alter
> files so there is little chance they could crap out the file system, or
> delete files without knowing it. Explorer is one of those M$ monsters that,
> under the right circumstances, grabs an entire tree and grinds it up into
> the digital void. The users in question are at these moments little more
> than automatons from editing hundreds, perhaps even a thousand, files in
> some 8 hour span of time. These users don't even have the DOS prompt in
> their Start menu, let alone the time to mess with it. Bottom line: Linux is
> not being used for file servers in my company because this feature is not
> present. We are _not_ talking about a windblows trashcan here, we are
> talking about short term enterprise class file recovery as implemented in
> Netware. This was my intention when I brought the whole issue up on this
> list. We don't need a windows garbage can (unless you mean literally :), we
> need file recovery at the sysadmin level without going to the tapes as
> often. In order for Linux to take over the planet (my dream), then all of
> the features that keep companies tied to an OS needs to be addressed. This
> issue is one such company tie.
>
> Billy Rose
>
> P.S. I got 2981.88 BogoMIPS today from a new install of RedHat 7.2 on a P4
> 1.5Ghz!

plynch@sphere.org

"Communications without intelligence is noise;
Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
- Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC .

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.048 / U:0.252 seconds]