    SubjectRe: 2.5.6-pre3 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02
    Voluspa wrote:
    > PS. I've got a rather good grip of my Linux From Scratch system - with a BSD style init for even better control - and only load modules for one NIC and ALSA stuff here. Never have had file systems modulari(z)(s)ed DS.

    OK I didn't actually get around to test pre3 in life. But at least
    it's nice to hear that this is apparently not my fault ;-).

    > On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 06:09:04 -0500 (EST)
    > Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:
    >

    >>It boots fine from ext2 on IDE here. Do you have any oddities in
    >>.config? (e.g. something silly enabled - CONFIG_PREEMPT, etc.)
    >>

    > Silly :-) A P166 needs every boost possible. Yes, I have preempt enabled. And yes, you are right on the mark. Compiling without preempt the booting of 2.5.6-pre3 runs flawlessly. And after a few tests no file corruption visible. But 2.5.6-pre2 + preempt-UP-bug-patch worked like a charm. So there's something else involved, it seems.
    >
    > During the compilation I happened to get a brief glimpse of a warning in ide.c Don't know C so can't evaluate its severity. Went something like this: 'In function choose_drive Warning: distinkt pointer lacks a cast'.
    That's spurious and will vanish soon. I just peplaced IDE_MAX and
    IDE_MIN with the generic min() max(), which are showing nicely where
    int entities of different size are compared.

    >>.config might be really useful. Or not - it may boil down to checking
    >>

    > I judge it a moot point to dump all those lines now. If I'm in err, nudge me.
    >
    > Thanks for the discussion.
    > MJ
    > -

    - phone: +49 214 8656 283
    - job: eVision-Ventures AG, LEV .de (MY OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!)
    - langs: de_DE.ISO8859-1, en_US, pl_PL.ISO8859-2, last ressort: ru_RU.KOI8-R