SubjectRe: Monolithic Vs. Microkernel
Hi!

> > Not *all* of them. On vsta, you could do
> >
> > ( killall keyboard; sleep 1; keyboard ) &
> >
> > to change your keymap. On linux you need special tools for managing
> > modules and are not protected from module bugs. Try developing filesystem
> > on production box.... You can do that on u-kernels.
>
> Userland filesystems != microkernel.

Yep, but microkernel => userland filesystems ;-). Anyway, they *can*
do things linux can't do (or linux has hard time with), like
partitioning physical machine into few logical ones, filesystems in
userland, ability to debug drivers on production machines, etc.

I like those features, but I'm not sure if costs introduced by
u-kernels are worth it.
Pavel
--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly. However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa