SubjectRe: Serial.c BUG 2.4.x-2.5x
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:07:03AM -0800, Ed Vance wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 4:19 AM, Roman Kurakin wrote:
> >
> > Who is responsible person for applying [serial driver] patches
> > to main tree?

This particular bug has already been fixed in the rewrite, as I originally
said back on 14 November 2001.

The patch does fine for the most part, but I have two worries:

1. the possibilities of pushing through changes in the IO or memory space
by changing the other space at the same time. (ie, port = 1, iomem =
0xfe007c00 and you already have a line at port = 0, iomem = 0xfe007c00).
I delt with this properly using the resource management subsystem.

2. there seems to be a lack of security considerations for changing the
iomem address. (ie, changing the iomem address without CAP_SYS_ADMIN.
I added this as an extra check for change_port)

> I then asked Russell to set the rules for this co-ordination and no response
> has been forthcoming. Perhaps he missed my question?

I have a fair bit of email backed up at the moment, but I have been in
contact with Ted T'so recently. I won't say much more at the moment,
but should have something in a month or two. Until then I'd rather not
say too much publically.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux