SubjectRe: [opensource] Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement ofBitKeeper by Linux Maintainers
On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 17:54, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
> > You apparently missed the fact that the the petition was not against the
> > *use* of proprietary software at all. In fact, we explicitly mentioned
> > that everyone is free to make that choice individually. What the
> > petition is against is the *advocacy* of the proprietary BitKeeper
> > software by the kernel maintainers.
>
> How do they have any business telling me what to advocate?
>
> That doesn't sound like free speech nor free thought to me.

The nature of a petition is that it's a request. We (obviously) can't
force the kernel maintainers not to use BitKeeper, and I personally
wouldn't if I could.

So, the kernel maintainers can ignore the petition if they want to. The
whole point of the petition is to let them know that there are people
who aren't happy with their choices.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.397 / U:0.108 seconds]