SubjectRe: [RFC] Arch option to touch newly allocated pages
bcrl@redhat.com said:
> you only need to do the memsets once at startup of UML where the ram
> is allocated -> a uml booted with 64MB of ram would write into every
> page of the backing store file before even running the kernel.
> Doesn't that accomplish the same thing?

The other reason I don't like this is that, at some point, I'd like to
start thinking about userspace cooperating with the kernel on memory
management. UML looks like a perfect place to start since it's essentially
identical to the host making it easier for the two to bargain over memory.

Having UML react sanely to unbacked pages is a step in that direction, having
UML preemptively grab all the memory it could ever use isn't.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:21    [W:0.125 / U:1.120 seconds]