SubjectRe: [Patch] ALi M7101 watchdog
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Tim Hockin wrote:

> The WDT in the 7101 is almost USELESS from user-space. It has a MAXIMUM 1
> second timeout, and is tied straight to RESET. If you miss ONE feeding,
> you reboot. In our kernel we have a 1/4 second timer to feed the watchdog,

If you look at the code you will see that I am refreshing the watchdog as
1/4 second intervals - the userspace watchdog is handled in software so
that if it does not get a heartbeat every 30 seconds then the driver stops
sending the automated 1/4 second heartbeats to the hardware.

We've been using a similar (very hacked about) watchdog for about a year
without any problems but I have only just gotten around to neatening it
up.

> random reboots. If I was allowed to, I would have used the WDT for reboot
> ONLY, and had it off otherwise - it is WAAAAY finicky.

Under this patch, if you don't open /dev/watchdog then the watchdog is
only ever activated for reboots.

--

- Steve Hill
System Administrator Email: steve@navaho.co.uk

... Alcohol and calculus don't mix - Don't drink and derive! ...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.036 / U:1.188 seconds]