SubjectRe: 2.4.19pre1aa1
Date
On March 4, 2002 07:56 pm, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> >> 1) We can balance between zones easier by "swapping out"
> >> pages to another zone.
> >
> > Yes, operations like "now migrate and bind this task to a certain
> > cpu/mem pair" pretty much needs rmap or it will get the same complexity
> > of swapout, that may be very very slow with lots of vm address space
> > mapped. But this has nothing to do with the swap_out pass we were
> > talking about previously.
>
> If we're out of memory on one node, and have free memory on another,
> during the swap-out pass it would be quicker to transfer the page to
> another node, ie "swap out the page to another zone" rather than swap
> it out to disk. This is what I mean by the above comment (though you're
> right, it helps with the more esoteric case of deliberate page migration too),
> though I probably phrased it badly enough to make it incomprehensible ;-)
>
> I guess could this help with non-NUMA architectures too - if ZONE_NORMAL
> is full, and ZONE_HIGHMEM has free pages, it would be nice to be able
> to scan ZONE_NORMAL, and transfer pages to ZONE_HIGHMEM. In
> reality, I suspect this won't be so useful, as there shouldn't be HIGHEM
> capable page data sitting in ZONE_NORMAL unless ZONE_HIGHMEM
> had been full at some point in the past?

That's the normal case when the cache is loaded up.

> And I'm not sure if we keep a bit
> to say where the page could have been allocated from or not ?

No, we don't record the gfp_mask or, in the case of discontigmem, the
zonelist. Perhaps this information could be recovered from the mapping, or
lack of it. I don't know how you'd deduce that a page was required to be
in zone_dma, for example, without specifically remembering that at
page_alloc time.

--
Daniel