    SubjectRe: DE and hot-swap disk caddies
    On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Erik Andersen wrote:

    > Ok. How about my laptop? I have an ATAPI zip drive I can plug
    > in instead of a second battery. It is the only device on the
    > second IDE bus (hdc). In windows there is a little hotplug
    > utility thing one runs before unplugging the zip drive. In Linux
    > I currently have to reboot if I want the ide-floppy driver to see
    > the device... I'm willing to bet that Dell has done mysterious
    > stuff to make the electrical part work. It would sure be nice if
    > I could ask the ide driver to kindly re-scan for /dev/hdc now.
    >
    > Is whatever windows is doing when I hotplug my zip drive somehow
    > unsafe, such that supporting the same functionality on Linux is
    > somehow a Bad Thing(tm)?

    Erik,

    I can't say from here. My guess is that the chipset has an extension to
    the ATA standard that allows hot plugging. Your CDrom behaves like a
    normal IDE device, which doesn't mean it is one :) For your hotpluggable
    device support, we'll need info about the chipset your laptop uses, and
    the cdrom drive. Maybe Dell is willing to help us out here.

    Jos

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:38.632 seconds]