    > Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:07:15 -0500
    > From: Douglas Gilbert <>

    > > One problem I see when trying to use a box with 128 SCSI disks
    > > is that sd_mod sometimes refuses to load. Earlier kernels simply
    > > oopsed when it happened, but that is fixed in 2.4.18. The root
    > > of the evil is the enormous array sd[] that sd_init allocates.
    > > Alan suggested to split the allocation, which is what I did.

    > So the only thing that is now contiguous is an array of
    > pointers (to device state structures). [...]
    > There have been no reported errors with this approach
    > during the lk 2.4 series. A patched sg driver (together
    > with Richard Gooch's sd-many patch) has been able to
    > address over 300 (similated) disks without noticeable
    > memory problems on a modestly-sized box.

    The sg driver does not have any hd_struct arrays to allocate,
    because it's not a disk.

    > I believe that it was Eric's intention to implement the
    > same solution in sd. The generic disk stuff and the
    > partitions are a complicating factor.
    > All those parallel arrays set up by sd_init (e.g.
    > rscsi_disks[], sd_sizes[], sd_blocksizes[],
    > sd_hardsizes[], sd_max_sectors[] and sd[] are a mess.

    Excuse me, but I think you are trying to solve quite different
    problem here. It looks that you target the code cleanliness first,
    and the biggest allocation as an afterthought: "partitions
    are a complicating factor". I target the biggest allocation,
    which is the array of hd_struct (without loosing any code
    cleanliness, if any remains in that rathole). Do you see the

    Even after my patch broke the biggest allocation into 8 parts,
    it is still the biggest! Every one of those other arrays is smaller
    than an array of 256 hd_struct's. There is no way to switch to
    arrays of pointers for hd_struct, because it is indexed with
    minor in ll_rw_blk. Really, my change is independent of any
    cleanups for other arrays (such as rscsi_disks[]).

    It would be very nice if someone actually looked into detangling
    those arrays in 2.5. Currently, Andreas Jaeger rewrote that part
    without changing anything, only adding a bunch of butt-ugly macroses.
    2.5 is where the better place for array squashing excercises is,
    because I certainly would like to see this GONE:

    if (rscsi_disks)
    return 0;

    /* allocate memory */
    #define init_mem_lth(x,n) x = kmalloc((n) * sizeof(*x), GFP_ATOMIC)
    #define zero_mem_lth(x,n) memset(x, 0, (n) * sizeof(*x))

    > BTW. It is probably worth looking at the sd-many patch
    > as it must have been faced with a similar problem.

    It just occured to me after I sent the patch.

    I would appreciate if someone applied and used my patch and told
    me how it went. Array cleanups are parallel to the break-up of
    the biggest allocation in sd (which must stay an array :-P).

    -- Pete

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.028 / U:57.396 seconds]