    SubjectRe: Bitkeeper licence issues
    Hi,

    On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > Work for me. I've run a profitable small open source company, I've worked
    > for Red Hat.

    Wow, that kind of answer I had expected the least. :)

    > Think about it this way. There is no reason to suppose that the concept
    > of the Innovators Dilemma does not ultimately apply to nations.

    Innovator's Dilemma is an interesting theory, but I think it simplifies
    things too much. I haven't read the book, so I can only judge from
    various reviews I've read. It seems to concentrate too much on the
    actual trigger and neglects the necessary conditions. The major flow
    here is, it assumes that all participants play nice and fair.
    Take for example MS, they don't have to innovate that much by
    themselves, they just buy it. The interesting point here is that their
    biggest threat is now a technology which is not really disruptive, but
    rather a technology they can't buy.
    With nations it actually becomes worse, as soon as politics and economy
    come together there is no fair play anymore. A developing nation may get
    an advantage in a specific area, but the industry nations will do
    everything do prevent that they will get too powerful. The developing
    nations are mostly useful to exploit their resources be foreign
    companies, which expect from their goverments to "protect" their
    investments.
    Don't make the mistake to just look at hitech industry, this is still a
    growing market (only the gold rush is over). Other more traditional
    markets are already divided and tightly protected.

    > Hans Reiser's team of Russian wizards is simply a couple of years ahead of
    > everyone else moving all real software development to the czech republic
    > and india, the phone support to the philipines and the hardware to
    > taiwanese and chinese bulk build to order.

    I agree, although the "couple of years" are debatable in these fast
    changing times. :)
    Another thing to consider is that software development currently is
    still somewhere in the middle ages. Everything is still copied by hand
    and the Gutenberg press of software development hasn't been invented
    yet (there are some interesting developments, but I don't think we're
    there yet). Software development is still a very expensive process, good
    software design requires developer, which must be very capable in
    several areas and at the same time still has to do lots of boring
    repeating work. Most development which is moved to india is also the type
    of development which is most likely to be automated by better tools. So if
    india just relies on this it will be hit very badly.

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.024 / U:1.564 seconds]