    SubjectRe: Filesystem Corruption (ext2) on Tyan S2462, 2xAMD1900MP, 2.4.17SMP (RH7.2)
    On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:31:46AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > We're seeing this with Tyan 2410s and Seagate drives. I think Tyan just
    > > can't get DMA right. Luckily we mainly lost docs or man pages before we
    > > disabled DMA, although losing the rpm database sucked. MDMA2 seems okay
    > > but we haven't tested it long enough to form a lasting impression.
    > > I'm actually patching the ServerWorks driver to honor the CONFIG flag,
    > > since even with hdparm there is a narrow risk to the fs during the boot
    > > process before DMA is disabled.
    >
    > I can confirm problems with serverworks OSB4 and UDMA. With UDMA and
    > a seagate disk you see 4 bytes repeat from one transfer into the next
    > shuffling all the data up 4 bytes (which since it includes inode and
    > metadata is *messy*). Current 2.4 has detect code that sometimes traps this
    > and panics to avoid fs death.
    >
    > With MWDMA all was fine.
    >
    > This was observed across a large number of boxes in a rendering farm so its
    > not a one off flawed box, and across two board vendors. I reported it to
    > serverworks who were interested but couldnt reproduce it in their lab.

    It seems like Daniela Engert found this problem too:

    Vendor
    | Device
    | | Revision ATA ATAPI ATA66 ATA133
    | | | south/host bridge id PIO DMA PIO DMA ATA33 | ATA100| Docs
    v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

    0x1166 ServerWorks
    0x0211 OSB4 x x ? ? x - - - x
    0x0212 CSB5
    < 0x92 x x ? ? x x - - -
    >= 0x92 x x ? ? x x x - -

    known bugs:
    - OSB4: at least some chip revisions can't do Ultra DMA mode 1 and above
    - CSB5: no host side cable type detection.