SubjectRe: Suspicious about 2.4.18
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Michael wrote:

> I'm not really a linux expert, so I can only be suspicious.

Neither am I but I after seeing strange cron-jobs being run in the
future according to the log,I upgraded to 2.4.19pre3 and all was ok
again.

> Masquerading of iptables 1.2.5 sudently idles when "iptables -L" shows
> everything is alright. A realoading of rc.firewall brings everything back to
> normal. That happened 7 days after a normal operation. I've now upgraded to
> 1.2.6 and see what happens.
>
> Also, crond doesn't seem to operate very precisely. It is sometimes seems
> idle for 30 minutes.

I tried running this small script under 2.4.18 and noticed very strange
outputs..

// --- start ---
#!/bin/tcsh
while (1)
date
end
// --- end ---

./timescript > output

output gives me this;
Fri Mar 15 10:17:12 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:12 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:12 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:12 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:12 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:12 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 11:29:43 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 11:29:43 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 11:29:43 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:13 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:13 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:13 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:13 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:13 CET 2002
Fri Mar 15 10:17:13 CET 2002

Which clearly shows that something is very very strange.
I've no idea where or why this happens but since upgrading to 2.4.19pre3
helped I assume that there is something in the kernel that is wrong.
I run SuSE7.2 with a vanilla 2.4.18 (now 2.4.19pre3).

> I know that these may be application-specific problems, but I was curious if
> there are any current kernel issues related to them so I can quit searching
> for another cure.
>
> Thanks. Michael.
> -

Cheers! /Adam