    SubjectRe: Bitkeeper licence issues
    Hi!

    > > > Pavel, the problem here is your fundamental distrust.
    > > By giving me binary-only installer you ask me to trust you. You ask me
    > > to trust you without good reason [it only generates .tar.gz and
    > > shellscript, why should it be binary? Was not shar designed to handle
    > > that?], and that's pretty suspect.
    >
    > Bitmover doing anything remotely suspect in an executable installer
    > would be commercial suicide, do you distrust realplayer too?

    I've seen windows installers doing *very* suspect stuff.

    I distrust realplayer, too, but I think those people are bad enough
    that there's no point complaining. I believed Larry could see that
    binary installers are evil.

    > did you distrust early netscape before they released source?

    Yep.

    > yada yada countless other programs..

    Actually, I only ever did binary installation of realplayer, as far as
    I can remember. And that was at time national television died, and I
    wanted to know what's going on.

    > If your distrust of commercial organisations providing binaries
    > is so great, you know where objdump, strace and friends are.

    strace does not solve the problem (it is trivial to detect you are
    traced), and I do not think Larry should require me to objdump
    installer.

    [You see, binary-only installers are total nightmare from security
    perspective. They are widespread on windoze, and it *is* problem
    there. I do not want them on linux.]

    Pavel
    --
    Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
    cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.